Friday, October 22, 2010

Earth Girls Aren't Easy: The Shift

I guess talking about relationships and the dynamic between men and women in general is going to require me to be a bit candid, huh? Well, here goes nothing.

I was recently emancipated from a serious relationship of almost two years. I can't pinpoint the particular moment, but there was a shift. After we incurred the dreaded "break," there was a shift in communication, in priorities and the direction of the relationship.

I wanted the same things, but on my terms. Where I felt I couldn't express myself to him, I poured out to Twitter because deep down inside I knew what I had to say wouldn't lead to anything positive. I found interest in the happenings with other people, where I should've kept my interest in him. We had our problems, like any couple, but we were still invested. We eventually wanted to be married. He tried to be a good partner, but I was detached and he knew it. 

He was everything I wanted and everything I didn't want all wrapped in one. So here lies my question, why do women remain in relationships when instincts tell them otherwise? Are we afraid of sacrificing our relationships for our own feelings? And do we bury how we feel just to get by?

Looking back, I definitely believe the lingering is more painful to both parties than addressing the issues.

bisou, bisou
Miss Emme

1 comment:

  1. Sooo, how about this question, why do women always put the blame on themselves when in more cases than not, it's mostly the man's change in behavior? It can never be one sided, even if the person who changes in a relationship- changes because of the other person's actions... and then, people's priorities and views and opinions about what's acceptable and what's not in a relationship may change over time. We are all ever changing... it's about finding someone who changes with you. And to answer your questions, i feel like sometimes women stick around because they feel like he'll come around, or that whatever is happening is their fault so they need to fix it within themselves. which goes back to my first point... ok im done

    ReplyDelete

adore it, hate it, share it